Wednesday, April 18, 2012

40 miles down

Time to wake up early and eat some food get through the morning routine and hit the road in my car for a quick 45 minute drive south for the start of my 40 mile joy ride. Once I was on the road i was in good spirits listening to music a bit nervous/excited to see how these road races/ride go. They give you a number but it is not a race its just for fun.The bike still on my car while I am getting my saddlebag filled: a tube, CO2, and a bike tool that had arrived on Friday... Just in time.

I kept looking around to see how other people were prepared to see if i had all the right gear and to see if i looked like I know what I am doing.  You see I ride alone all the time so I have no idea what cyclist do.  I mean I guess but really I am new to the sport.
It was a beautiful day with great scenery.


  NOW it is time to hit the road.
I head out and at first have no clue how to follow the "well marked" route. So with frustration I just end up following people...Then the 60 mile/40mile split 3 miles into the ride which way do I go?? right or left??  I follow my instincts ( okay judgements really) and follow the group going left with people that had normal pedals.  Now I realize I could have made the wrong choice but I saw how tricked out those bike heading right were so I stayed left.  Turns out I made the correct choice and was headed out on my 40 mile trek.  Now it is about time for me to figure out this "well marked" path and I still have nothing! and by this time I have passed all of my leaders ( hoping in the mean time they are now not just following me).  I stop in a turn filled neighborhood and take out my spec sheet to study the next few turns. By this time swear words are rolling through my head directed at the person who said this is one of the easiest courses to follow.  I am now thinking of turning around and bailing after 8miles thinking this is just not worth it.  Just when I was about to turn my bike around and head for the hills... A woman just speeds on by me making three turns with ease and as she is probably wondering why I am pulled on over with my spec sheet out.  I'm thinking wow she is good if she has all these turns down and memorized.  Then I see it, a clearly mark spray painted direction arrow on the ground.  All the anger and frustration turns inward and I think thank goodness I was riding alone and no one witnessed my stupidity.  Once I saw those it was smooth sailing.  I had an absolute blast on the ride and felt pretty good beside a few aches and pains from being in the saddle for near three hours but other then that things were great.  Time 2:50 mins for 41 miles.  average speed 13.5mph with 1680ft elevation change.  I love biking the more I do it and feel good about my first real actual long ride.
-RR-

1 comment:

  1. Great time Katie. Glad you kept the swear words in your head. :-) MOM

    ReplyDelete