Friday, August 20, 2010

Motivation from the boss.

I am lucky enough to have a boss at work ( yes I realized I just said work and where else would you have a boss IDK just roll with it) that is training for a full marathon. I am not sure if i have mentioned this before but its nice to talk running with someone at work. He did the R&R 1/2 marathon here in Seattle so he has done all this before. I realize I have mentioned that I do my interval training on a treadmill so that I can measure my pace and speed easily. I mentioned this to the boss and he gave me a good old fashion speech about if there is any run you should not do on a treadmill its interval training. I said whatever, after a long discussion/debate I figured he was right and if I am taking this serious I need to put in the work. So last night I went to GL because they have 1/4 mile marks on the ground so this would be great for the interval of 800m I was going to be doing. Well I did a mile warm up and stretched it out before I began this hellish workout. Well it was not easy I decided to run without pace ( in fear I would not pick one fast enough) on my 800m I just ran as fast as I could without sprinting, the last interval of 800m I did was not much different the my slow jog to recover. I ended up covering 5.6 mile in 1:04:45. After 6x800m dashes I was beat. But I felt good I also felt like I could still run so that is always great. I had my first I hate this moment while experiencing a side ache from HELL, all I could think was damn you boss man why did I let you into my running world!! All in all I am glad I did now I have a new mental strategy on my short runs I am going to push the speed a bit more and try to get more out of those small runs. Well now I am out the door for a quick 4 miles before the daily grind. Happy running.
-RR-
P.S. I also know yesterday was a rest day but I did the classic switch from Wednesday and Thursday due to a long Wednesday nap. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment